Saturday, May 14, 2011

Preemie Perks!

In the past seven months, I have realized that having a micro-preemie has LOTS of advantages. I don't fear Harrison getting shots or blood drawn at all.  I think I can pretty much handle anything thrown my way after dealing with Intraventricular Hemmorhage, a few NEC Scares, Respiratory Distress, Retinopathy of Prematurity, a Possible PDA Surgery, Reflux, 93 days in the NICU, Double Hernia Surgery Repair, and Constant appmnts at ACH. We'll see how I react when Harrison gets his first cold. All of it has prepped me for what's to come and hopefully I'll be able to handle it with ease, instead of over reacting. That's def a preemie perk!

Being a preemie parent, I now can hold intelligent conversations with neonatologists, neurosuregeons, opthamologist, speech language pathologists, physical/occupational/respiratory therapists, nutritionists, and other dr's and nurses. I’ve heard that many parents of preemies eventually change careers. Many become active with local hospitals and March of Dimes chapters. I hope to do that too. Having lost a baby and birthed a micro-preemie, I have developed deep empathy for parents who have lost a child or who are facing a health crisis with one of their children. I rejoice for every baby who has a nine-month gestation and healthy delivery, but wish deep down I could have that too. Preemie parents know that every “normal” pregnancy is really a miracle! I never realized that before I experienced loss and had a preemie.

Parents of preemies are not afraid to be advocates for their children! If something isn't right, I now know where to look for answers.

Being a preemie parent, I will celebrate every milestone Harrison reaches, no matter how long it takes and be so grateful he did. Had he been full-term, he might not have qualified for Easter Seals services and I wouldn't have met all the wonderful dr.'s and nurses at UAMS. I consider them life-long friends. It's a privlege to have met these people and I got to bc of Harrison. I'm forever grateful for that. This sweet little boy has already done amazing things!! Having a preemie makes you see the BIG picture and not sweat the small stuff. Yes, it was hard, but there are so many wonderful perks with having a preemie!

1 comments:

cscothren said...

LOVE how upbeat and positive you are!!!! This makes me smile!!!