





Tomorrow marks the day we lost my sweet grandfather. I can't believe its been one year. Granny, I'm soooo proud of you!! I remember you telling us over and over...."He had a wonderful life and we must remember that." I have so many memories, I don't even know where to start. These pictures show his happiness and love for life. He always greeted us with a kiss and a hug. He was obsessed with sugar and could eat an entire chocolate pie. Can you believe an old man would hide candy bars and sweets in his sock drawer? I loved when he picked us up from school because that meant---CUPCAKES from IGA!! We spent the Christmas before last with him , while Granny went to church. I will never forget that because we watched "White Christmas" in the back bedroom. I looked over at him and felt like the luckiest girl in the world!! He always told us how much he loved us and always wanted to know when I would be back to see him. I feel so blessed to have known my grandfather because he taught us so much about life and love. Here is a letter my grandparents wrote right before we got married. Emily B. put a scrapbook of letters and pictures from friends and family. It's a TREASURE!!! Below is a poem from the program. I read OVER AND OVER after he died. If you've experiences loss, this poem makes so much sense.
Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
By Mary Elizabeth Frye


3 comments:
What a lovely tribute to your wonderful grandpa! He was a very special man...very much loved by everyone that knew him. You are just like him---very special and very much loved!!
Rozie
Tomorrow is going to be a difficult day, but I know that in his memory we must celebrate him. Tomorrow we will remember his passing, and five days from then we will remember his birth. There are so many memories, Avie, and you've made a beautiful and meaningful tribute to those. I love you and your heart. One of my favorites is the time he took us out in the truck to teach us to drive. (Albeit, driving on bumpy, grassy terrain is a little different than a highway...) But he did it anyway, and he sat between us with that upside down grin, and once we all started laughing, we couldn't stop. I don't think anyone is as lucky as those who knew and loved Grandpa.
We miss you Grandpa!! I will always remember him putting out the pool chair cushions and umbrella for us everytime we would come over in the summer. I will also never forget the time he couldn't stop from running down the hill and almost ran straight into the pool! (Good thing Bryce was there to catch him:) Give sweet Granny a big hug for me!
Post a Comment